Hope you all are doing great.
In my last post I have mentioned about my short break list I would have known that the break will be increased for 2 more days as my city where I stay (Hyderabad, India) has gone through massive rainfall which resulted in flood especially in lower areas. Luckily my area was not much affected from water logging but for complete one day there were issues related to electricity, water, mobile network and even basic necessities. I hope things get normal super soon as there are many who are still having water logging in their society.
Coming to this DIY. It was in my plan from this year start only when I got beeswax from Nature’s Tattva but I was too lazy to do research on it or I was in a thinking that it’s not that easy.
So one fine day which is almost a month before I decided to finally have my own Lip balm. So I took some pieces of Beeswax (let’s take it as 1 part) in a bowl so that I can keep it in boiling water.
I don’t have pic of first step I was so excited to make it…anyway in that beeswax I added 2 part of coconut oil. I used Kama Ayurveda extra virgin coconut oil. So it’s like for one spoon of beeswax I added 2 spoon of Coconut oil.
But at the time of melting only I felt coconut oil will be less so I Googled and saw many places it’s mentioned 1:3 or 1:5. I stay in warm climate plus I don’t like oily kind of lip balm so I added only one more spoon of coconut oil making it 1:3.
So after melting it was like below pic
But when they settled I found them really hard. Very waxy like soft candle. I thought I will manage and scooped a bit on my lips …it was not working at all. It felt as if I am running mashed candle on my lips. Fragrance was nice though but it was really hard. You can see in the pic below
I was clueless what to do now. So I Googled again and came with a solution to melt it again and add coconut oil or alternatively Shea or cocoa butter. Luckily I had both butters (for diy things)…so I added 3/4th spoon each and melted the mix. This time it was much better comparatively soft. Though it should have been a bit more soft but i didn’t wanted to again start the whole process so made peace with it.
Check the below pic to see the texture
I finally packed it in my old cleaned lip balm jar.
Before I share my feedback on this some points to be taken care of are mentioned below.
- The mix melt quickly and set also very quickly
- As I don’t have the proper I used normal kitchen utensils it can be unsafe so please take proper care
- Ratio is very important which I believe also depends upon quality of product. For lipbalm a little beeswax will give a good quantity of product because you have to mix oil and butter too. (Or oil only)
- You need to be clear as what formulation you want if you want more on softer oilier side add more oil
- I have not added any color have heard about beetroot powder that by adding them the lip balm gets a reddish kind of tint also at many places for tinted lip balm adding a very little of scrapped lipstick was also suggested may be I will try these things later on
- Store it in a airtight clean jar, box whatever
- I am totally surprised how effective it is…it literally stays on my lips for hours even after having food
- A little bit of everything yielded good quantity so it’s totally worth.
- One of the most surprising thing is the fragrance as I didn’t had any essential oil so I have not added any I thought there wouldn’t be almost no fragrance and even if there will be it will soon go away…but…still whenever I open the jar ..the warm nutty fragrance of coconut, Shea and cocoa make me feel so Cozy and warm. Coconut fragrance is obviously dominating and it’s very pleasant.
As of now I can remember these points only it’s just one month of making this lip balm and I am super happy though for now I will keep on getting store brought ones too but DIY lip balm also going to stay.
Apart from lip balm what else I can make from Beeswax (no candles also) let me know in comments
Some more pics below
With lots of ♥️
Note- pictures are clicked from my mobile. Further editing is done through editting app. The picture is in natural day light.
Disclaimer- I have purchased and used the raw products mentioned in the post. Based on my experience I have shared my honest views. As this is a diy which is messy and need quick activities but in a concentrated way. Please take all the precautions.
Love this. Such a cute and effective diy😍😊
Yeah it is indeed very effective